Forums » Movies

My Top 10 Movies of 2016

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    August 17, 2017 3:18 PM EDT

Once again, I'm later than usual in posting my picks for the past year. Nevertheless it's finally here. Here are my Top 10 Movies of 2016:

1. Moonlight – No Oscar-envelope mess-up here. This is #1 for 2016. It’s similar to Boyhood, but it has a plot. And a love that was meant to be.
    2. La La Land – A completely original musical for the big screen needed to have the right stuff to win us over. And it did!
    3. Fences – Right adaptation from Broadway to the big screen. Anyone else notice hints of Death Of A Salesman?
    4. Silence – Scorsese’s most overlooked masterpiece. I’m glad I’m one of the lucky ones to see it on the big screen.
    5. Deadpool – Who would have thought one of the best films of 2016 was a ‘superhero movie’ that actually wasn’t?
    6. Manchester By The Sea – It’s a film that might make you want to slit your wrists, but it ends with a ray of hope.
    7. Kubo And The Two Strings – 2016 was a year where animated movies were some of the most winning movies of the year. This film was the masterpiece.
    8. Hidden Figures – An empowering movie that lifts your spirits.
    9. Hell Or High Water – One thing we’re lacking on the big screen is a good crime drama. This is no Pulp Fiction, but it’s an excellent story.
    10. Arrival – A film you first think is about aliens, but it’s a lot more.

Honorable Mention:

• Loving – It’s not simply about the couple that made history, but their love that made it happen.
    • Lion – This is an against-all-odds film that gets you hoping Saroo wins in the end.
    • Hacksaw Ridge – You could call this the redemption of Mel Gibson. Also a reminder to all those who think that a conscientious objector is a ‘coward.’
    • Zootopia – A Disney story that’s both fun and entertaining.
    • Finding Dory – Usually sequels to a great animated film get lame over time. Remember the Shrek sequels? This one brings back the magic of Finding Nemo.
    • Sing Street - The most overlooked comedy/musical of the year. Perfect for anyone who wants to start a band.

OTHER BESTS:

• Best Animated Feature: Kubo And The Two Strings – See above review.
    • Best Sci-Fi Film: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – When you have a Star Wars movie, you expect the best action scenes of the year. And it delivers.
    • Best Foreign-Language Film: The Salesman (Iran) – If you remember 2011’s A Separation, the director returns with another drama that has a lot to say.
    • Best Popcorn Movie: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – This isn’t simply Star Wars fanfic to the big screen. This story captures the spirit of Star Wars very well.
    • Best Superhero Movie: Doctor Strange – Marvel comics introduces another one of their heroes to the big screen. Very entertaining.
    • Morally Redeeming Film Of The Year: Hacksaw Ridge – We live in a time people are so obsessed with their personal freedoms, some could pass as ‘valuesophobic.’ This film reminds us that having values is not a weakness at all.

And there you go. Those are the top films of 2016. I'll have to wait until late into 2017 to see the best of this year.

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at October 2, 2017 10:04 PM EDT
  • IPkid
    • 1 posts
    August 17, 2017 3:21 PM EDT

I love Finding Dory and Zootopia.

• Sk8er_Boi
    • 5 posts
    August 17, 2017 10:16 PM EDT

The only one of your top ten I saw was Deadpool, just shows what type of movies my age go to thats all. lol

• JacksonB
    • 2 posts
    August 17, 2017 11:07 PM EDT

I saw Deadpool it was awesome, also Hell and High Water, Kubo and Arrival so as a teen I saw 4 of the ten so not bad. All four were awesome so I agree with them in a years top ten.

Will you do the worst of the year also?

• Summer
    • 13 posts
    August 18, 2017 12:15 AM EDT

I really liked Hacksaw Ridge, very inspiring and the fact it is based on a true story, just awesome.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    August 18, 2017 11:54 PM EDT

Once again I love your list and I absolutely loved "Moonlight" it is hands down the best film of 2016, followed by "Manchester By The Sea" and "Fences" along with the superb "La La Land." I would not change the list except for one I would want "Hacksaw Ridge" there byt at which movie moving out?? 

This post was edited by Klattuu at August 18, 2017 11:55 PM EDT
  • Mikael_Kurri
    • 8 posts
    August 19, 2017 10:42 AM EDT

I liked Hell Or High Water and Deadpool, I thought Arrival was so stupid.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    August 20, 2017 7:35 PM EDT
    I don't know if I'll do a full list of the worst of the year, but I would rank Batman Vs. Superman and Sausage Party among the worst. Last year, there was nothing totally dreadful, but nobody wanted to see the two best superheroes ever beat each other up.
    JacksonB said:

I saw Deadpool it was awesome, also Hell and High Water, Kubo and Arrival so as a teen I saw 4 of the ten so not bad. All four were awesome so I agree with them in a years top ten.

Will you do the worst of the year also?

• TeeJay
    • 4 posts
    August 27, 2017 2:19 PM EDT

Deadpool and Hell Or High Water are the only 2 from top ten I saw and they were awesome.

• Stunna
    • 4 posts
    August 30, 2017 12:45 AM EDT

Rogue One, Doctor Strange, Hacksaw Ridge were all wicked.

• Aran04
    • 12 posts
    August 30, 2017 7:12 PM EDT
    Zootopia and Finding Dory was awesome.
  • AlexaM
    • 2 posts
    September 1, 2017 10:37 AM EDT

Awesome pics because Moonlight and La La Land were the two best I saw.

• $NavyBoy$
    • 49 posts
    September 1, 2017 9:24 PM EDT

Once again for each year I have been here you put out a bang on top list of the year, I have seen each title on your top ten and they all belong there, no argument about your top film from this corner.

This post was edited by $NavyBoy$ at September 2, 2017 1:29 AM EDT
  • Lukas
    • 33 posts
    September 5, 2017 10:53 AM EDT

@OmahaTrevor, the ones I liked in your top ten are "Deadpool" and "Hell Or High Water" and the one I saw but hated was "Arrival" but maybe I didn't get it.

• Skater_TJ
    • 90 posts
    September 6, 2017 9:45 AM EDT
    Lukas that is the same for me, I thought Arrival was so boring.
    Lukas said:

@OmahaTrevor, the ones I liked in your top ten are "Deadpool" and "Hell Or High Water" and the one I saw but hated was "Arrival" but maybe I didn't get it.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    September 6, 2017 9:10 PM EDT
    I bet most people here  thought Arrival was about an alien invasion when in fact it was about something else.
    It's like one person told me it's not actually about aliens.
    Skater_TJ said:
    Lukas that is the same for me, I thought Arrival was so boring.
    Lukas said:

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    September 10, 2017 6:27 PM EDT
    Thank you. It's the feedback I get each time I post this that keeps me coming back to this site year after year.
    $NavyBoy$ said:

Once again for each year I have been here you put out a bang on top list of the year, I have seen each title on your top ten and they all belong there, no argument about your top film from this corner.

• myBOYce
    • 2 posts
    September 11, 2017 9:21 PM EDT

I love "Fences" it was so awesome and then my nerxt fav was "Manchester By The Sea."

• Front_Row_Center
    • 68 posts
    September 19, 2017 12:31 AM EDT

Great list there of 2016 top films, with no doubt my top three are also "Moonlight" "La La Land" and "Fences",DEnzel Washing ton is one of the best actors in the biz today. I would then list for me "Hell OR High Water" and  the supeb "Manchester By The Sea."

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    September 19, 2017 9:31 PM EDT
    This was one of the hardest Top 10 lists I ever had to decide. #1 and #2 were easy to pick out. The best animated movie of the year was also an easy choice. The rest of the Top 10 along with my honorable mentions took a lot of thinking about. I actually hate ranking the best of the best!
    Front_Row_Center said:

Great list there of 2016 top films, with no doubt my top three are also "Moonlight" "La La Land" and "Fences",DEnzel Washing ton is one of the best actors in the biz today. I would then list for me "Hell OR High Water" and  the supeb "Manchester By The Sea."

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at September 19, 2017 10:00 PM EDT
  • Blue Jay Kid
    • 5 posts
    September 19, 2017 9:59 PM EDT
    Nice having a few movie experts here to show us the good movie listings.
    OmahaTrevor85 said:

Once again, I'm later than usual in posting my picks for the past year. Nevertheless it's finally here. Here are my Top 10 Movies of 2016:

1. Moonlight – No Oscar-envelope mess-up here. This is #1 for 2016. It’s similar to Boyhood, but it has a plot. And a love that was meant to be.
    2. La La Land – A completely original musical for the big screen needed to have the right stuff to win us over. And it did!
    3. Fences – Right adaptation from Broadway to the big screen. Anyone else notice hints of Death Of A Salesman?
    4. Silence – Scorsese’s most overlooked masterpiece. I’m glad I’m one of the lucky ones to see it on the big screen.
    5. Deadpool – Who would have thought one of the best films of 2016 was a ‘superhero movie’ that actually wasn’t?
    6. Manchester By The Sea – It’s a film that might make you want to slit your wrists, but it ends with a ray of hope.
    7. Kubo And The Two Strings – 2016 was a year where animated movies were some of the most winning movies of the year. This film was the masterpiece.
    8. Hidden Figures – An empowering movie that lifts your spirits.
    9. Hell Or High Water – One thing we’re lacking on the big screen is a good crime drama. This is no Pulp Fiction, but it’s an excellent story.
    10. Arrival – A film you first think is about aliens, but it’s a lot more.

Honorable Mention:

• Loving – It’s not simply about the couple that made history, but their love that made it happen.
    • Lion – This is an against-all-odds film that gets you hoping Saroo wins in the end.
    • Hacksaw Ridge – You could call this the redemption of Mel Gibson. Also a reminder to all those who think that a conscientious objector is a ‘coward.’
    • Zootopia – A Disney story that’s both fun and entertaining.
    • Finding Dory – Usually sequels to a great animated film get lame over time. Remember the Shrek sequels? This one brings back the magic of Finding Nemo.
    • Sing Street - The most overlooked comedy/musical of the year. Perfect for anyone who wants to start a band.

OTHER BESTS:

• Best Animated Feature: Kubo And The Two Strings – See above review.
    • Best Sci-Fi Film: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – When you have a Star Wars movie, you expect the best action scenes of the year. And it delivers.
    • Best Foreign-Language Film: The Salesman (Iran) – If you remember 2011’s A Separation, the director returns with another drama that has a lot to say.
    • Best Popcorn Movie: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – This isn’t simply Star Wars fanfic to the big screen. This story captures the spirit of Star Wars very well.
    • Best Superhero Movie: Doctor Strange – Marvel comics introduces another one of their heroes to the big screen. Very entertaining.
    • Morally Redeeming Film Of The Year: Hacksaw Ridge – We live in a time people are so obsessed with their personal freedoms, some could pass as ‘valuesophobic.’ This film reminds us that having values is not a weakness at all.

And there you go. Those are the top films of 2016. I'll have to wait until late into 2017 to see the best of this year.

• Jeff_Wincott
    • 93 posts
    October 2, 2017 10:05 PM EDT

Excellent picks, you amaze through the years and I am thinking soon they are going to have to send screeners to you at Academy time because you are just as good as those who make the big decisions.