Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

11 digital ways to entertain bored kids

• NZgirl
    • 13 posts
    July 18, 2013 2:52 AM EDT

hey, I am a new Zealander and I came across this artcle in Yahoo New Zealand Lifestyle section.

Listed some websites for kids and teens to have fun at during summer and yes on the list I saw teenstarsonline The article is by Jan Goldie of Yahoo New Zealand here is the Link.

Here is how Teen Stars Online was described

[9. Teen Stars Online

This interactive magazine-style site offers blogs, forums, fan clubs and videos about teen stars. Lots of chance to give your opinion, read gossip and watch the latest movie trailers. No high brain cell activity needed here, but entertaining.]

Is the bit about no high brain cell actvity needed here an insult to us members? or not???

• Mellisa A
    • 20 posts
    July 18, 2013 11:04 AM EDT

I think that is awesome, and no that is not an insult I mean this is a light place aimed at kids and teens mostly all for fun, It is awesome it was chosen over much bigger places aint it? and that reason I think is the clean kid friendly stuff.

• Lite_Brite
    • 7 posts
    July 18, 2013 12:35 PM EDT

I love teen stars online.

• Jazzy_Girl
    • 24 posts
    July 18, 2013 5:29 PM EDT

Cool, well it is awesome here I go also to other sites and there someone always have something mean and nasty to comment.

• Jersey_Girl
    • 7 posts
    July 19, 2013 12:31 AM EDT

Cool, I have also seen it on school websites list of sites that means a lot and I seen it on a public Library list of rec sites and it is also on suzicat list of 12 awesome websites for teens.

http://suziecat7.hubpages.com/hub/12-Awesome-Websites-For-Teens

• Chris Kross
    • 37 posts
    July 19, 2013 1:06 PM EDT

A couple of years ago I saw a link to it also here on the BBC website, some nice adverts those links are also shows the site has a good rep.

• O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    July 20, 2013 2:34 PM EDT

Best site thats not commercialy made and run this is run by fans on a shoestring budget as admin once told me. lol

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    July 20, 2013 3:10 PM EDT

Fantastic site been coming here for a few years, good leisure fun and conversation with good people and a place to leave your opinion without being viciously told off by some lout.

• Jersey_Girl
    • 7 posts
    July 20, 2013 9:15 PM EDT

Awesome, well cool place nice people it attracts nice people those who want to argue fight and swear go the other spots.

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    July 25, 2013 11:25 AM EDT

Not like the big boys but a fun spot to come and do some of the same things you can do at the big commercial sites and with a lot nicer membership group.

• BoyceGirl
    • 6 posts
    August 3, 2013 10:58 AM EDT

Well it is listed because it rocks, I used to be at that other palce and got tired of mean people with bad langusge.

• ShortStop
    • 43 posts
    August 12, 2013 9:00 PM EDT

Yea but the site went a long time this summer with no updates, the admin dont care about here, and dont he make lotsa money from it? and still dont care about it?

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    August 12, 2013 9:50 PM EDT
    Well I hope it is ok with you if the webmaster can take a vacation or something or a break from here....jeeeeeeeeeese.

ShortStop said:

Yea but the site went a long time this summer with no updates, the admin dont care about here, and dont he make lotsa money from it? and still dont care about it?

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    August 12, 2013 10:02 PM EDT

I am getting so annoyed at how some people take shots at the webmaster not updating this and that always, like this is not a commercial site with a work force woking for it, this is one person..give it a rest and enjoy the site.

A very nice humble person also jeezee thats why I have been coming here years...lighten up all.

• ShortStop
    • 43 posts
    August 12, 2013 10:03 PM EDT

Gosh sorry I mean no harm I dont know anything about these things I thought it made lots of money or something.

• Film_Fan
    • 53 posts
    August 20, 2013 1:19 AM EDT

It is not an easy time keeping it clean, each 24 hours about 40 spammers/trolls and other miscreants are stopped cold either by the security filter the admin has in place or by fast action by a volunteer moderator.

Some do get in and some new people do come in with content deemed not appropiate but also again fast action prevents most stuff from being seen by the public.

It is not easy when you ahve a webpage that allows comments it is a magnet for spammers who are relenteless they are a blight,  a low life underbelly of the net.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    August 20, 2013 9:16 PM EDT

John it is closer to 100 per day removed, the admin removes tons these comment spammers have no morals on a kid friendly site they come to place links to filth.

• Jeff_Wincott
    • 93 posts
    November 13, 2013 1:32 AM EST

This is no surprise; this is a brilliant site and has been for over 10 years and this all despite the admin not devoting much time to it. If the admin really went full out who knows what this site could be, don’t get me wrong it is not like it is left to die but the extra push is not there this is a unique place others do it bigger with budgets and big staff but the clean family friendly image from here can’t be beaten.

• Skater_TJ
    • 90 posts
    February 22, 2014 12:50 AM EST
    Teen Stars Online does what FanPop and other do with no drama, the cursing the content that is inappropriate for kids etc., they just have a big budget and plus this site been around longer so technically they stole the idea of a kid and did it with money. I was on fanpop and left because saying your opinion can get some real curse words thrown at ya.
    Jeff_Wincott said:

This is no surprise; this is a brilliant site and has been for over 10 years and this all despite the admin not devoting much time to it. If the admin really went full out who knows what this site could be, don’t get me wrong it is not like it is left to die but the extra push is not there this is a unique place others do it bigger with budgets and big staff but the clean family friendly image from here can’t be beaten.

• Jeff_Wincott
    • 93 posts
    April 27, 2014 1:23 AM EDT

I am not being critical of the time the admin works on the site for crying out loud the site been running since about 2000 from the time he was just a kid and he don't make a dime I am not that bad guys.

All I said was if more time was spent on it how much beter could it be, that is all I meant. It is a hobby blog not a money making commecial site.

• OmahaTrevor
    • 109 posts
    April 29, 2014 4:23 PM EDT

It`s funny. Over on ADoseOfBuckley, Buckley talked of a kid playing with an iPad for a bit then saying Ì`m bored.`Then he went to rant about today`s kids.

• Carrie013
    • 10 posts
    May 10, 2014 3:50 PM EDT

This place is the best, I bet it would be more popular if it allowed anything goes like disgusting places like ask.fm. I stupid made an account and when I saw some of things being said to me well I deleted it as fast as possoble anything goes over there.

Read this on a mother who posted a warning about that site. The site you go to also what is said is not what this site links to so I dont know if they will remove this link but people should know.

PARENTS PLEASE READ+REGARDING A SOCIAL NETWORK SITE YOUR KIDS MAY BE ON THAT IS DANGEROUS

• RichardD
    • 7 posts
    July 2, 2014 1:26 PM EDT

I have herard about that site but never went to it at all...plus my computer maybe be blocked haha software my parents have on it.

[blockquote]carrie013 said:

This place is the best, I bet it would be more popular if it allowed anything goes like disgusting places like ask.fm. I stupid made an account and when I saw some of things being said to me well I deleted it as fast as possoble anything goes over there.

Read this on a mother who posted a warning about that site. The site you go to also what is said is not what this site links to so I dont know if they will remove this link but people should know.

PARENTS PLEASE READ+REGARDING A SOCIAL NETWORK SITE YOUR KIDS MAY BE ON THAT IS DANGEROUS

[/blockquote]

• Riley
    • 34 posts
    March 6, 2015 1:55 PM EST

They said no high brain cell activity needed cause it is a site for kids and teens and such. I am sure they would say same about Fanpop or any site like this.

Should feel good they mentioned ehre and not Fanpop that is a feather in the hat now I think. I love it here no fights and swering around posted like other places, it is clean and good for all ages. More awesome to me that it is just a fan site done by a fan and not a site with lots of money and reporters and stuff.

• Island_Star
    • 28 posts
    May 21, 2016 3:28 PM EDT

I am not intrested in the corporate sites like fanlala and fanpop etc they out to make money more than anything else, I prefer there this smal cool site that even existed before them.