Forums » Movies

Ordinary People (1980)

• Front_Row_Center
    • 68 posts
    January 4, 2015 11:07 PM EST

Saw “Ordinary People” tonight, such a good movie but it has left me feeling as depressed as the son. I would bet not a person here has seen this gem from 1980, I bet you would all be bored stiff. No explosions or spaceships zooming through space, just a good drama with the always amazing Mary Tyler Moore. A young Timothy Hutton was also superb as was Donald Sutherland. So surreal watching that affluent family falls to pieces. I recommend it try to watch some good cinema and give stuff like Robocop a break, watch a movie that make you all think sometimes. Is that too much?

This won 4 Academy Awards including best Film. I saw it because I am on a quest to watch every best picture winner.

• Sofine
    • 66 posts
    January 5, 2015 8:28 PM EST

Heard it is a good movie but looks way too slow for me, watching all the best film winners you will have to plogh through some pretty boring stuff.

• O\u043f\u0456\u043a\u0443\u043d
    • 71 posts
    January 6, 2015 1:22 PM EST

I have watched the DVD of "Ordinary People" and yes it is slow but a very good movie. I think most kids/teens wont like it.

• Rachel
    • 83 posts
    January 11, 2015 9:09 PM EST

I have never seen "Ordinary People" but my mom says it is one of her fav movies and we should watch it one day. Based on this maybe I will.

• Klattuu
    • 152 posts
    January 14, 2015 8:51 PM EST

Many of the Best film winners were very slow dramatic roles and Ordinary People is slow moving but a very good movie in all ways, stoty, acting you name it.

The next best film I am sure he watched after that  would be "Chariot of Fire," I think without looking it up that was 1981 best pic. How it beat out the awesome "Raiders of the Loast Ark" that eyar i don't know. Another good drama that year that was a fav was "On Golden Pond." Atlantic City that year is also a winner with Burt Lancaster in fine form.

This post was edited by Klattuu at January 14, 2015 8:53 PM EST