Forums » Movies

My 2016 Academy Award Predictions

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    February 25, 2017 3:58 PM EST

Okay, Sunday’s Oscar night. That means you all get my annual predictions. It’s a TSO tradition going back 15 years ago. Once again I give you my Should Win (SW) pick, my Will Win (WW) pick and my Closest Threat (CT) pick. So here goes:

BEST PICTURE :

WW: La La Land

SW & CT: Moonlight

La La Land looks poised to be the first musical since 2002’s Chicago to win Best Picture. Also the first Best Picture winner to gross $100 million since 2012’s Argo. What is up with the Academy nowadays?

BEST DIRECTOR:

WW: DAMIEN CHAZELLE/La La Land

SW & CT: BARRY JENKINS/Moonlight

It’s the year of La La Land. Admit it. People love musicals. And Chazelle delivered a completely original one for the big screen.

BEST ACTOR:

SW & WW: DENZEL WASHINGTON/Fences

CT: CASEY AFFLECK/Manchester By The Sea

Normally the Academy is reluctant to give an actor or actress a third Oscar. However Denzel is the one to do it by bringing Troy Maxson to the big screen, and in a big way.

BEST ACTRESS:

WW: EMMA STONE/La La Land

SW & CT: ISABELLE HUPPERT/Elle

It’s usually the acting performances that have the best chances of winning Oscars. Emma delivered.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

SW & WW: MAHERSHALA ALI/Moonlight

CT: DEV PATEL/Lion

Remember how for the past two years there was the #OscarsSoWhite row? This year there are seven non-white actors nominated. Mahershala Ali is anticipated to win for playing a gangsta with a smooth style and a wise head.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

SW & WW: VIOLA DAVIS/Fences

CT: OCTAVIA SPENCER/Hidden Figures

If anyone can steal Fences from Denzel, it’s Viola!

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

SW: TAYLOR SHERIDAN/Hell Of High Water

WW: KENNETH LONERGAN/Manchester By The Sea

CT: DAMIEN CHAZELLE/La La Land

If there’s one category Manchester By The Sea still has its best chances at, it’s this.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

SW & WW: BARRY JENKINS and TARELL ALVIN McCRANEY/Moonlight

CT: ERIC HEISSERER/Arrival

Isn’t it weird that Moonlight has won a lot of Original Screenplay awards? The fact it’s based off a short story is why the Academy classifies it as Adapted.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:

WW: Zootopia

SW & CT: Kubo And The Two Strings

2016 was a remarkable year for animated movies. So many of them and they entertained best. That may explain why favorites like Finding Dory and The Secret Life Of Pets got snubbed. Just too much competition.

Disney has won this category ten out of fifteen times. No question this is the Oscar they most want to win. Zootopia is just what they need to win it.

BEST ART DIRECTION:

WW: La La Land

CT: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

SW & WW: GREIG FRASER/Lion

CT: LINUS SANDGREN/La La Land

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:

WW: MARY ZOPHRES/La La Land

CT: MADELINE FONTAINE/Jackie

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:

WW: O.J.: Made In America

CT: 13th

BEST FILM EDITING:

WW: TOM CROSS/La La Land

CT: JOHN GILBERT/Hacksaw Ridge

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:

WW: Toni Erdmann (Germany)

CT: The Salesman (Iran)

Iranian director Asghar Farhadi won five years ago for A Separation. However he will boycott the Oscars in protest of Trump’s immigration policies.

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:

WW: Suicide Squad

CT: A Man Called Ove

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

SW & WW: JUSTIN HURWITZ/La La Land

CT: NICHOLAS BRITTELL/Moonlight

A score to an original musical is a foregone conclusion.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:

SW: ‘Audition (The Fools Who Dream)’/La La Land

WW: ‘City Of Stars’/La La Land

CT: ‘Can’t Stop The Feeling!’/Trolls

BEST SOUND MIXING:

WW: Hacksaw Ridge

CT: La La Land

BEST SOUND EDITING:

WW: Hacksaw Ridge

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:

WW: The Jungle Book

SW & CT: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

We all know Star Wars delivers the best visual effects of the year. Problem is that’s the expectation for every Star Wars movie. That explains why Ex Machina won last year; because their visual effects did not have the expectations Star Wars gets each time. That also explains why The Jungle Book has the edge this year.

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM:

WW: Silent Nights

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM:

WW: Piper

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT:

WW: Joe’s Violin

And there you go. My predictions for tomorrow’s Academy Awards. This will be the first time Jimmy Kimmel is hosting. Will he do a good job or will he mess up? We’ll see.

This post was edited by OmahaTrevor85 at March 8, 2017 8:31 PM EST
  • JacksonB
    • 2 posts
    February 25, 2017 7:04 PM EST

I like your picks, we have to get you on the Academy panel. I am hoping for Denzel. 

This post was edited by JacksonB at February 25, 2017 9:31 PM EST
  • Broderick
    • 10 posts
    February 27, 2017 1:49 AM EST

After the results are now in I have to say your picks were pretty damn good and maybe all should have been true winners.

• Nasru
    • 21 posts
    February 28, 2017 10:01 AM EST

Your picks are good, but what a mess-up for Best picture, that was as bad as Steve Harvey. lol

• JeffJones
    • 84 posts
    March 3, 2017 5:38 PM EST

Not the best Oscars I have seen, good lord I felt for Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in that mess-up, felt even sorry for the La La Land people, I felt La La Land was the correct choice by the way. I am sure they know now how Steve Harvey felt.

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    March 6, 2017 9:45 PM EST
    I watched the Oscars broadcast in a movie theatre with their Oscar party. All of us were shocked! How could that happen?
    The next day, I sent a tweet to the 'envelope duo' saying I hope they still have their day jobs!
    JeffJones said:

Not the best Oscars I have seen, good lord I felt for Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in that mess-up, felt even sorry for the La La Land people, I felt La La Land was the correct choice by the way. I am sure they know now how Steve Harvey felt.

• KidX
    • 5 posts
    March 8, 2017 8:32 PM EST
    I felt more sorry for La La Land people all happy and celebrating.
    OmahaTrevor85 said:
    I watched the Oscars broadcast in a movie theatre with their Oscar party. All of us were shocked! How could that happen?
    The next day, I sent a tweet to the 'envelope duo' saying I hope they still have their day jobs!
    JeffJones said:

• OmahaTrevor85
    • 121 posts
    March 8, 2017 8:51 PM EST
    Yes, I went from annoyed about learning there was a mistake to just plain disgusted when I saw the looks on the faces of those from La La Land. I was at a party in a movie theatre and that completely ruined my evening.
    KidX said:
    I felt more sorry for La La Land people all happy and celebrating.